Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Her Marrakesh

Image from Maryam's blog My Marrakesh

My relentless teacher, I have learned so much from her. She woos you with tales of distant lands, of impossibly beautiful textiles wrapped in peacock feathers. So you go in charmed, distracted by the silver sequins woven on her Moroccan blankets. Another style blog to peruse, more eye candy--so you think.

Oh... but no, not so fast, there is a price she exacts at the door. She wants you to feel. Feel as passionately about her work as she does, and you realize she wants you to care. She wants you to care about those she so fiercely defends. People without a voice. Not an easy task. Take a look at her achingly beautiful people, it will change you. Kabul, Afghanistan: and a tale of the Taliban - My Marrakesh

2 comments:

Maia said...

Yes! A beautiful tribute to quite some woman, Yoli! Thanks for posting this.

Annie Coe said...

I love her too. xoxo